PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Dark Skinned African American Going To Bangkok....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Dark Skinned African American Going To Bangkok....

for 3 months. I am trying to do some research and find out what I should expect as a dark skinned American. I know they have a thing about light skin and dark skin amongst themselves but I am pretty sure that I am darker than any of them I have grey eyes and long curly hair.
    I am going to Bangkok because I got a singing gig in a band. We will be performing in a club in Bangkok which I am so looking forward to. Just want to know what to be ready for so that it won't take me by surprise. I am also learning some Thai phrases so that I can communicate a little bit. Khorb koon.
    Ble`z

Thanks
    I'm a very light skinned European so I cannot tell you exactly what to expect, but I would say in general Thais are not wicked or racist, they will be more curious about you. anything unusual can make them stare and laugh (if someone is tall, or fat, or has big breasts, a long beard, whatever out of the "average"), but you shouldn't make much of it, I mean, they are just interested, and they do keep much more eye contact anyway than so-called Western cultures. kids may point at you and giggle, some of them might not have seen a black person before. if you make friends with someone, they might ask if they can touch your hair for example, I have had this happen to me many times, especially when I went to places where they hadn't seen many foreigners before - I have curly hair. some elderly ladies were also interested in my nose. I'm sure as people get to know you and especially if you speak some Thai, they will feel more comfortable and you'll make friends. just take things lightly.

Thanks
    Thais people are always welcome you there, to break the ice you should practice some Thai greetng phrases like:
    "Sawaddee ka took took tan" (Hello everybody)
    "Kob koon ka" (thank you)
    " Chaen chob Mueng Thai ( I like Thailand)
    " Chaen chob aahan Thai ( I like Thai food)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Like Betti said, Thais are not racist in the way you might have seen in your homecountry - there is no deep hatred. Older generation will say that the kids will be scared of you and run away. That is because of the way dark skin people are portrayed in the media and literature. So, if you go outside of Bangkok to the provinces then you might get a few curious stares.

Last term we had an African America female teacher which was not only a first for our school but for our city too. The administration were worried that the kindergarten students wouldn't accept her and would be crying all the time. However, (and I think this is a lot to do with her personality) she was loved by everyone. There were tears when she had to go.

In conclusion, I think you should have a positive attitude and don't go looking for problems. Any reactions you might get could be to do with your height, hair length or many other things and not the colour of your skin. You need to let the water slide off your back like a duck. Keep smiling and be friendly to everyone and you will have a great time!

Good luck.

Thanks
    Well, I plan to have an open mind no matter what and will chalk any negativity up to ignorance/not having seen or experienced someone like me before. As far a my height goes, I am a short woman 5'3" so I'm sure that will not be a big difference. I'm sure that there is no treatment there that I haven't already experienced here in the United States and then some, trust. I'm just very curious because even though they treat each other funny because of skin color, believe me when I say they havent seen dark in comparison to what they are used to. I get questions here in the US. I live in DC and people stare and gawk, ask questions. Not in a bad way but you would think that "some" of the folks here had never seen a black woman with light eyes and long hair before.I think because the only time you see a black woman like that, she is extremely light but we chocolate honies have much flavor too. Hopefully it will be a wonderful experience. I am going to Thailand to entertain the people so I will keep it light and fun.
    Last edited by Ble`z; 11-04-06 at 09:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You have a good personality which shines through the words on your post. I am sure you will do fine.

Thanks

talking Dark skin in Thailand

Hi. Lots of people seem to be commenting recently on the dark skin thing. It really isn't a problem. Just as many white people want to be tanned. Most Thais want to be white skinned. TV is pushing this desire more and more onto city Thais. It has more to do with fashion than racism. Just as a tanned white person wouldn't look down on a light skinned Eskimo, a light skinned Thai won't look down on you as a naturally dark skinned person. If you are a light skinned person that has a good tan the Thais will not understand why you have done this but they will also not look down on you (unless you are a Thai woman and then they may a little).

Racism does exist in Thailand but not the deep hatred that causes race riots in places like Australia or UK or the kind of hatred that causes genocide in Europe or Africa. Many Thais unfortunately seem to feel a bit superior to Hill Tribe minority people or Laotians or Cambodians or Burmese. Some of these prejudices are also the result of a long history of conflict between nations.

These prejudices are a bit of a shame but I think you'll find that compared to many people in the world the Thais are actually very warm, welcoming, caring and friendly people. They are in general very kind and it always makes me so happy to see this kindness extended even to stray cats and dogs. So please don't worry.

As Richard said, much more important than your skin colour I think the Thais will respnd to smiles and warmth and kindness and some interest in their culture and language.

Thanks
    I do know that if Asian, the darker you are the harder it is to ask pretty girls out on dates. Most girls definitely prefer light skin guys. That's the only time it counts I think.

I have a Thai friend who is really dark and they say he looks like a farmer. But they don't treat him any differently if it's just in a social situation because a lot of Thai people are dark. I live in the US and wanted to take a girlfriend to the beach once and she did not want to go out in the sun because her skin would get dark. I think it's a sign of social status whereas darker skin means harder work out in fields or standing out in the sun.

Like everyone has told you Ble`z, you will be fine. The dark skin won't draw you any negative attention unless you are trying to find a relationship IMO.

Thanks
    Thanks Richard, Paul and Badfish. I appreciate your comments very much. I am definetly not going to Thailand looking for a relationship. Heck, I'm not even looking for one here at home Lol!
    I am just at the point where my singing is allowing me to travel. I think having a bun would just get in the way of that because of course when you have a sweetie, you are less inclined to want to go away. Especially for extended periods of time so being single works for me.

Thanks

I cant really agree with all of what I just read, but

you will have no problems from what I have read of you.
    45 years ago TV wasn't much here and they still wanted to be white, not brown, but they do not have the racism that you are bound to have experienced in the USA.
    I am white [swede] and known here as I have lived in this village for 5 years and am married to a Thai, and young children still stare at me and scream and cry if I go to pick them up or touch them, Hide behind their mothers if they see me looking at them.,
    but also there are children that will follow me around at the market in the evenings because they know me and know that the Farang is an easy touch for candy or a bag of chips or a toy.
    The people are bound to look at you and maybe point but there is no ill feelings connected to what they do and the kids will damn sure stare.

Have a nice stay and enjoy..

Thread Information