PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Is Thailand safe to visit? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    "...don't go walking up dark allies..."

I make sure to hang around with only light allies; just can't trust the dark ones.

"...instead pull out your 20 inch blade, slash there faces and say that's a knife."

Enjoy your stay at the Bangkok Hilton 5555555
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_au
    have your vital documents hidden in a special body wallet. It also better to have the element of surprise, when they ask for your wallet, pretend to get it out of your pocket, but instead pull out your 20 inch blade, slash there faces and say that's a knife.
    I take it you've read Papillon then, or maybe seen the film with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman? If not its about a guy who was sent to Devils Island for being a bad boy, all his vitals were stashed somewhere quite safe, although you might have to shift your head a bit to get it all in
    I know this is my first reply to your stuff but I've been reading it and hope to have plenty of fun with you in the future

Thanks

Crime in Pattaya Today !

Subject: CRIME IN PATTAYA OUT OF CONTROL

In the late 80s and early 90s i was a frequent visitor to Pattaya and got to really know the place well and like the place a lot. It was a place that had so much on offer an all fronts.

Friends, those of you who plan to go to Pattaya today must be made aware of the dangers of Pattaya today.

Pattaya now unfortunately has become a war zone of criminal activity. It is not the Pattaya of long ago where the only thing you worried about was the occasional overcharging at entertainment or Food establishments.

Today there are many criminal gangs who operate in Pattaya with the sole purpose of robbing Farangs/Tourists of Money or anything of value such as rented Motorbikes, Jewelery, cash, e.t.c
    These criminals come from far and wide from many parts of Thailand for these purposes alone.
    In the process of the many many Robberies that have been committed against Tourists, people have been killed, seriously injured, and left with serious injury and trauma.

There are many Robberies of Tourists daily. Tourists often get approached with knives or guns so that they hand over their valuables and the perpetrators have no qualms about using their deadly force.

If you must go to Pattaya do not wear any Gold or Jewellery that is of value because most likely you may well be targeted by thieves. They will rip the Gold chain from your person without a thought. Resistance to the thieves in many cases has ended in serious injury or death.

The situation is not getting better, but worse and worse daily. Crime is in Epidemic proportions. Foreign embassies do not offer a travel warning about Pattaya which is wrong considering the very high amount of crime in the city. You do not need to take my word about this but read what is going on in print.

There are three excellent newspaper publications published in Pattaya today and they are available to be read online without cost. They are Pattaya Mail, Pattaya people newspaper, and Pattaya city news.

All back issues are available and offer a sample of the many crimes committed in Pattaya today and related problems. They are a warning to anyone who may think that Pattaya is one big entertainment where one can go about there daily routine without being extremely wary of what is going on around you.

Despite the Billions in Foreign currency being poured in to Pattaya by Tourists, the issue of crime against Tourists and locals has not been treated seriously enough by the authorities just by going by the plague proportions of crime in Pattaya today which is very, very sad.

Thanks

Re: Is Thailand safe to visit?

Thailand is and will always be safe to visit. People are generally friendly and the troubles today are not what the people want. It just happened to happen. Similar troubles could also happen to any other country. As a visitor, whether to Thailand or any other country, it is always important for us to practise our own safety precautions. I visit southern Thailand several times a year to visit friends. My last visit was in January this year and I am now writing this note. This shows that I am back home in one piece even though there are many adverse news of southern Thailand in the world media.

Thanks

I appreciate those comments, coffeeblack. I think sometimes Southern Thailand gets a sweeping comment of danger, when actually it is very localized. It is my number one destination in Thailand and have always felt very safe.

Thanks

Thank you Pailin for sharing my sentiments. Southern Thailand had and will always be my favourite destination although I had been to many parts of Thailand. Intending to make another trip either in March or April.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pailin
    I appreciate those comments, coffeeblack. I think sometimes Southern Thailand gets a sweeping comment of danger, when actually it is very localized. It is my number one destination in Thailand and have always felt very safe.
    Pailin, everything depends on the fate. Everyday billions of people go about their daily lives without anything unusual happening. But every now and again you get a confluence and, crunch, they become the victims of a universal happening. That one in a million event, good or bad, the lottery win or the bomb.

All people can do is beware and to stay away from those places where the odds are slimmer or seek those where the odds are better, a.k.a. the inside of an active volcano.

Thanks

Oopsie... Re: Is Thailand safe to visit?

I have lived in Pattaya for 4 years and in that time I have seen crime increase hugely. Many gangs operate in Pattaya connected to drugs and other vice, some are organised and have members country wide. Bodies turn up every day dumped in remote areas. Shootings happen on a weekly basis as there are a large amount of illegal handguns in circulation. Tourists are attacked, robbed and shot but it is very rare for any to be killed.
    If you go out at night, it must be said that you are taking a risk. Never go alone and avoid the bar areas (hard to do in Pattaya). Always use a money belt (bag snatching is very common). If you are confronted by an attacker and you resist, you could be putting your life at risk as criminals here aften carry weapons and will use them on tourists.
    The police have set up road blocks/checkpoints around the city in areas prone to crime. They have also installed CCTV monitored 24-7.
    2 Recent examples.
    A female Russian tourist was shot in the back while walking on Jomtien beach the shooter has not been caught. Motive unknown.
    Another female tourist was stabbed 3 times while resisting a bag snatch, again in Jomtein beach. Attacker was caught.
    In both cases the victim survived the attacks but were seriously injured.

Thanks

I guess the problem with Pattaya[and other tourist destinations]is that they have become too Westernised over the last few years.Unfortunately it is just a sign of the times and there is always an element of criminality in every soceity.I avoid these places nowadays at night and the only reason I visit Pattaya is because my wife's brother lives there.I just hope that these sort of occurences do not start happening in the not so touristy areas of Thailand.It would also be the reason why more Falung are retiring to places like Isaan and such places.Cheers

Thanks

Hola Guys,

Have gone thro the entire documentation, wanna know is it safe to travel alone and still have fun?

I m plannin for a travel to Phuket by march 1st week and its for a 3 days stay, without any prior hotel booking and being thailand virgin!!

I kinda dare enough to do, nothin comes on top of my head on safety breech, while the question is gotta know the fun part

wat do u say..

Thread Information