PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Happy Songkran!

Thread: Happy Songkran!

Thanks

Happy Songkran!

Happy Songkran to everyone!

Just to share, here in India, we share the New year with festivals across the country called - Baisakhi (North), Bihu (assam, East), Vishu (Kerala Malayalis...South), Vivya (Tamil, South).... and many more

This is what I do - trying to connect with Thailand somehow... when I am so far away from it....

Looking forward to hearing everyone's experience of this fantastic festival.
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

Rochford, Essex, England, but my heart is stil in Doilo!
    Thanks
    May I add my greetings to trangam's?

This is the first year for a long time that I have not been able to spend Songkran with my Thai family, and I am missing it all, and them, very much.

However, currently residing in my late father's flat, which is within a sheltered housing complex here in the UK, I have been able to celebrate just a little.

The neighbours have all seen my photos and videos, so it was no suprise to them when they recieved a sprinkling and my best wishes this morning!

I should add that it was warm water, and I ensured it smelt nice!

Even at my age, I remain the boy here, being the youngest by about twenty years, so it is suprising just what tricks I can get away with!

In fact it is expected of me!
    To be happy with where you are, first be happy with who you are.

Thanks
    Yes! Happy (belated) Songkran to everyone!

Songkran was celebrated today at my temple here in Dallas. It was the hottest day of the year, nearly 100F Degrees...so it did almost feel like Thailand. I loaded up on Roti and other delicious foods. We watched the Miss Songkran 2549 beauty pageant, and enjoyed some Muay Thai exhibitions. My favorite part is always the raffle. For two dollars a try, you get numbers that correspond to the oddest of prizes. It's so quirky and ridiculous that everyone is fascinated and intriqued and spends more than they should on what is essentially junk. This year I won a 15-piece tupperware set, a set of chopsticks, a basket of stuffed elephants, and a picture frame (of varying taste).

There is an older man who has a resemblance to the King, and every year he dresses up like him to be the emcee for the event. The monks line in a row for people to put water on them. There are lots of vendor stalls with crafts and samples of Thai foods.

The next best thing to being there!

(incidentally, Miss Songkran 2549 won a round trip ticket to Bangkok. While I'm not 17-23, nor do I fit into the very petit traditional clothing, I am considering training for the pageant next year... a girl's got to do, what she's got to do... to get to Bangkok!)

Thanks
    I'm coughing and sneezing and shivering and have a very bad cold, but I enjoyed it I'm still in the middle of uploading photos to my Hungarian blog, I will let you know when it's complete. it's soooo slow. no splashy one though. I might be getting old, but I enjoyed the temple bits most. sprinkling the procession of the Buddha images, when people were trying to get back some of the water that had touched them and used that to pour down each other's (myself included) neck, watching sand chedis being built, people praying and bringing offerings, dance and singing (luk thung) contests.... I got soaked all the same, but you can get soaked so many different ways, and some are more pleasant than others. the whole party was washed away and reduced to rags at the very end, when a thunderstorm took the town by surprise

Thanks
    We were up in Chiang Mai until the 11th I think and watched all the puppet shows and lanna drumming by the 3 kings monument, the guy with the turban was great. My girlfriends parents loved it.
    We got splashed only once when we were in an ox cart on a trip but I had my bottle of water so I was able to play also.
    After that we went to Koh Yao Noi near Phuket and no-one played at all because it is muslim, so it was very relaxing.
    We arrived back in Bkk late on Sat night so it was all over but I walked down Khao San on Sunday and it looked terrible and I was glad to have missed it.
    Last year we were in Rishikesh and had just got engaged in Dharamsala, Rishikesh is a dry city and though it is very beautiful and holy we wanted to party, so I looked in my guide book and it said we shouldn't miss songkran celebrations, I looked at my calendar and it was 1week away so we went to a travel agent in Lakshmanjula and got 2 tickets to Thailand leaving in 4 days. We got to KS road with India leaving me her reminder in the form of dire rear (not a nice way to fly) and I had a couple of days recuperating before it all kicked off. We couldn't leave KS for the whole 5 days and while it was fun I was glad when it was over

Thanks
    We had a good one this year also, We forted up with lot of grocerys and water here in our home and was set for seige, never left the driveway for 5 days, then it was all over and we went to market and did some visiting and stopped and talked to the monks awhile,, best songkran we have had yet since I have been here.
    We did go out the back way and went next door so the wife could sprinkle water on her folks and wish them a good life.

Thread Information