PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
How good is a Thai massage
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

How good is a Thai massage

Last year I was travelling with my girlfriend around India and SE Asia until we got stuck in Thailand. In Dharamsala we enrolled in a Tibetan massage course with a guy named Dhondup, he was out of this world, my girlfriend was in car accident when she was younger and has sometimes had back pain but Dhondup straightened her back out, he alsopointed out to me that one of my legs is longer than the other and showed me exercises to sort that out. He used to be the sole massuer of the medical advisor to the Dalai Lama and is aware that he could travel the world making big bucks doing this, but he told us he was Buddhist and does not need to.
    Anyway I've been in Thailand for one year now and really do enjoy going for Thai massage. The thing is there are just so many of them, especially in faranglamphu, are they all qualified? I prefer to get the big momma massuses as they really do seem to get into the places that are needed, but it is less personal and they just go through their techniques regardless. Sometimes I feel as though they haven't done what I wanted like they've just gone through the motions, and sometimes I feel great I think it depends on who you get.
    What does anyone else think?

Thanks
    I'm quite sure they are qualified - or most of them.
    if you want more than to have them go through the moves and their routine, make sure you stay for two hours, and explain your problems to them in detail, say if you prefer stretching or work on the pressure points, if you want to have it strong or gentle, relaxing or energising. if you don't say anything, you'll just get a general routine. I had an accident a few years ago and my wrist is still feeling shaky if I fall or carry something heavy, I got a very good treatment for that lasting half an hour, but I had to get someone to explain my ligament injury in Thai to the Thai staff at the place I regularly visit. I agree with you that big mommas are the best, they have lots of experience and strong hands, and they feel the problem spots more even without you pointing them out.

Thanks
    Yeah I get your point, if you don't ask you don't get

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts
    Recommend anyone to go to the massage school at Wat Bo -best traditional massage I have ever had.

Thanks
    When I was staying in Samrong, there was a resident of the house, who used to give me a one hour massage free every day. She used to walk on my back for 15 minutes first, before she went through her routine using her hands, don't know if she was qualified or not, but I felt good afterwards

Thanks
    Paul, I hope you gave a tip at least or invited her out for lunch.

I've been for a massage at Wat Pho, they do it real strong there! all those thumb presses along the energy lines.... you must be the kind of person who likes that if you are to enjoy the Wat Pho experience. I prefer the softer style used here in Chiang Mai.

btw, I'm doing a massage course (I've completed 3 weeks and now taking some time to practise before going on), if anyone is interested in getting a free massage in Chiang Mai, not professional at all (yet!) but probably not altogether unpleasant, please contact me I don't have many friends to practise on I promise I don't do any walking on anyone's back

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Betti
    btw, I'm doing a massage course (I've completed 3 weeks and now taking some time to practise before going on)
    I think many people wouldbe interested to hear more about your massage course. Please let us know more about it when you get time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Betti
    I promise I don't do any walking on anyone's back
    Yes, leave that to the light weight Thai girls, most western woman are fairly tall in comparasion and are far to heavy, even when there not over weight, I would not want any one walking on my back, that is over 50 kg.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_au
    Yes, leave that to the light weight Thai girls, most western woman are fairly tall in comparasion and are far to heavy, even when there not over weight, I would not want any one walking on my back, that is over 50 kg.
    You will find that Betti is very light-footed and is much the same size as Thai women. She would do an excellent job I am sure.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    BTW, you do know it is Thai custom not to write the names of people in red ink? Unless of course you are wishing them to be dead?

Thread Information