Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

sad Whats good for dire rear

And don't say eating bad food, that won't wash
    I just ate some bad squid yesterday and 6hrs to the minute was suffering bad cramps all night, and the rest!!
    I have my own little remedies for this occurrance, but what does anyone else do??

Thanks
    sorry to hear about that. seafood can be nasty.
    if "all that" includes dehydration one way or the other, I always go to see a doctor. it's no joke in this climate. it's important that you let go of all that wants to leave and then rehydrate and also make up for salt loss.
    hope you get better soon!
    (btw, what's your "own little remedy"?)

Thanks
    Well I normally lie low for a day or 2, drinking rehydrations salts, I try not to take ciprolex if I can help it and especially not immodium coz your right it's in you and it has to come out.
    Also I drink lots of soda water coz that is good for settling the stomach.
    After the 1st day I'll eat yellow noodle soup (Ba Mii) with no added chilli just for some substance even if it goes straight through you still get a few nutrients and the feel of something in the belly.
    Also I drink those live bacterial drinks like Yakult to replace the bacteria in the gut, thats normally what sorts me out

Thanks
    rice soup works the best for me (without the black pepper), that's also what I was given in the hospital a few years ago when I had to stay for two days with severe dehydration. banana is also good, I've been told it's not only soothing for the stomach, but has lots of potassium (if I remember correctly). if it's only a minor diarrhea but you need to or want to slow it down a little without blocking it completely, a bar of black chocolate is great too.

Thanks
    dudes.. you can easily get diarrhea pills from the pharmacy... at only 20THB up... take one and your upset goes away almost instantly... I always get those "charcoal" pills to solidify my stool... so I won't "wet" my underwear... *LOL*
    Oh ya, Betti is right.. drink lots of water if diarrhea.....
    Good health, everyone!

Thanks
    Yea, Yea, Yea, I know Betti, and she will eat chocolate for anything or for nothing,,she loves chocolate..

But Bananas are good, and do have minerals of which potassium is there.But you can go to any pharma. in Thailand and buy packets of electrolite powder, which you mix with water and drink and replaces what is lost and prevents dehydration. Then after a couple of days start on the immodium AD.

But I have been here 5 years and never had the skidders yet, but I don't eat just everywhere there is food, and never eat seafood unless we buy it live and cook at home, I have a friend that has been here and married for 15 years and has never had the trotts, but he refuses to eat sea food.. Period..

I did learn about skidders while living in Mexico and from other farang around here too.

Thanks
    I prefer not to take pills for the diarrhea, if I have to go to the loo 20 times, then I have to, better get rid of it.
    I was given electrolyte powder at the hospital in January, but it tastes so awful when diluted it makes me want to throw up, which is not quite the point....
    the worst infection I ever had was some horrible parasitic something, knocked me out for months. but I contracted it in Indonesia. there everything is dirty and you really don't feel safe at all. in comparison, Thais are very clean and tidy, even the simplest food stalls and markets.

of course chocolate is good for everything. it generates endorphine, which makes you happy :-)

anybody happens to know how long the typhoid shot protects you? I got it almost five years ago now and only just realised its effect might have been long gone.

Thanks
    anybody happens to know how long the typhoid shot protects you? I got it almost five years ago now and only just realised its effect might have been long gone.
    I think it depends on what kind of typhoid shot you got because there are a few varieties. Some last as long as 10 years, but others (older versions) are a lot shakier.

I contracted typhoid fever in Thailand in 1989. I know I was vaccinated for it before then, but I'm not sure if it was the year before I traveled, or as a young child, so I can't remember enough to tell you when it lost its effectiveness.

And ... to add to Betti's points... the hospital had me on a banana only diet!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Betti
    Pailin is right, it does depend on the product. If you had the vaccination in Hungary, then you might have had Vivotif(R). Here's a link to the product description:
    http://www.bernabiotech.com/products/vivotif/

There you can also click (on the left side) on the links for 'Product Info Sheet' for more information on Vivotif and 'Enteric (typhoid)', which describes the epidemiology and so on.
    Here's an excerpt of the product description:
    "Revaccination:
    The optimum revaccination schedule for Vivotif L has not been determined. For persons
    living in endemic countries a revaccination is recommended every 3 years. In the case of travel
    from non-endemic to endemic areas a revaccination may be recommended every year.
    Revaccination consists of 3 double-chambered sachets taken on alternate days, as with
    primary immunisation."

However, if I were you, I'd check your papers to be sure. If you get too many vaccinations, you might get resistances (i.e. your bacteria will get used to the vaccine...). You can get allergic reactions from repeated vaccinations, though it depends very much on the vaccine and on the product.
    But I don't want to scare you... I guess if it's more than 5 years ago, it would be good to get a revaccination. I'd consult a doctor first - either a Thai doctor or, if you prefer, ask a tropical institute via email.

Chook dii!
    life is wonderful!

Thanks
    Oh, by the way: I just realised I wrote only about an oral typhoid vaccination... I don't how much about typhoid shots. Maybe you should really ask a doctor;-)
    life is wonderful!

Thread Information