PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Plan to stay in Bangkok
    Thanks

Plan to stay in Bangkok

Hi,

I have a thai gf and planning to get married next year. I have strong intention to stay in Bangkok and purchase an apartment ( sorry, should be condo). I would like to seek some advice on how i can go about it and to hope to know more regarding visa and my stay in BKk base on my situation.

I am 32 this year, self employed and earn my income from the internet. I do not intend to find a job in Bangkok as my online income will be able to feed me. I have a degree in marketing and good internet marketing experience.

Will i be expecting any problem in getting my stay in Bangkok?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by LoveThai; 26-04-06 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks
    LoveThai;

Well.....firstly there is a bit of a langauge difference. The Thai word for 'apartment' is the same 'apartment' but in Thailand apartments are usually only for renting, just like a flat in England.

The word you are after is 'Condo', these are just like apartments back home, they are usually for 'sale only' but are often rented out on a one-to-one basis.

This word taken from AmEnglish is pretty corrupt in usage as it can mean anything from a rundown place on the edge of a slum to a glitzy 120million thing in the heart of Bangkok's business area.

Condos can be purchased and owned outright by foreigners, but usually payment in full is required. If you are gonna buy the thing on a mortgage basis through the bank, youll have to do it through a Thai partner.

Most of Bangkok's cheaper condos are on the edge of the city but there is a lotta debate governing how much the things are actually gonna be worth in the future. A cheap condo is not the easiest thing to sell. Then, since the place is 'cheap' the building companies are in habit of letting the place turn into a squallor within ten years of selling the things off.

Any real estate will tell you that Bkk's condos of real value and worthy of investment are those situated in the center of the city but the prices dont come cheap. Around a few million....up+

In my opinion, if you prefer the cheaper option, just rent.
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks
    What about marriage stuffs,visa. As i am not looking for a job, i will not get a work permit. The only way is to marry my gf in bangkok.

Yes, it should be call condo. I have been flying in and out of thailand every 2 months and have frens in bangkok too. And i amvery convince that this is the place that i should spend my life in at least for the next 10 years.

Thanks
    Love Thai:

If youve quite a few questions i'd suggest you start seperate threads. Especially any ones about 'getting married'.

Ill go onto the visa question: If I am right, there is very little the authorities can do (even if they cared to!) in regards to working internationally over the Internet in Thailand.

But, there is no way you can get a work permit working from home!

The only visa you can easily get is a tourist one.

If you are married to a Thai you are automatically entitled to a one year multiple entry non-immigration A visa (need to go to the border every 3 months) without having to show any financial documentation.
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Jitwadee Guest
    I second Steve's suggestion: start new threads for new questions; your chances of getting on-topic answers is greater that way.

Also, if you'd like to find out about marriage visas and stuff, doing a forum-search with those keywords will bring up many useful results. There has been much discussion about that topic here.

Good luck.

Thanks
    OK , i will. :-) Thks.

Thread Information