PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
So...are you Thai or Japanese
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

panic So...are you Thai or Japanese

I don't know much about other places around the world, but here in the USA is seems that a lot of restaurants offer both Thai and Japanese cuisines. Is it me, or is that kind of wierd? To me, it is like a restaurant that combines Norwegian and Sicilian cuisines, or Polish and Greek food. The countries are far apart, both geographically and culturally. The cuisines are also quite different. What's up with that?
    Last edited by visionchaser45; 04-05-06 at 12:43 PM.
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks
    Is this just Thai + Japanese, or is there a mixture of other things?

Here we do have particular ethnic restaurants: Japanese/Chinese/Indian/Thai/etc that are trying to be to a certain extent authentic, with varying degrees of success.

But there is also a tendency for modern restaurants/cafes to have a mixture of cuisines. You can get a lamb salad, a Thai curry, some sushi. They are not trying to pretend to be authentic to these cuisines, any more than the average pizza is claiming to be "Italian cuisine". Buit in some sense this sort of mixture has become modern "New Zealand Cuisine". This is a welcome change from the old "meat, potatoes, and two vegetables" thing we inherited from England
    ไมค์

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by visionchaser45
    I don't know much about other places around the world, but here in the USA is seems that a lot of restaurants offer both Thai and Japanese cuisines. Is it me, or is that kind of wierd? To me, it is like a restaurant that combines Norewigian and Sicilian cuisines, or Polish and Greek food. The countries are far apart, both geographically and culturally. The cuisines are also quite different. What's up with that?
    A new one opened here recently, it's a mixture of Japanese, Thai, Chinese and of all things, Mongolian.

Thanks
    In Australia I used to often wonder at the Japanese/Korean restaurants. I always thought it was strange because Japanese food is very bland while Korean is not.
    Also Japanese and Koreans don't like each other very much. Strange indeed.
    Follow me on Twitter. I mostly tweet about hotels and resorts in Thailand. |
    Check out my Thailand Tumblr Photo blog

Thanks
    Vision45 , I think it just might be something to attract more customers. You are in the business I understand!
    In bkk suki places are popular so maybe...

Thanks
    Oh, I thought it was because many Americans think all Asians are the same. Sushi is very popular now, so if they see an Asian restaurant do they expect to find sushi there????? Personally, I don't like Japanese food. It smells much worse than bpla laa to me. On the other hand, I really enjoy Thai food. Now that my wife's restaurant serves sushi, she often brings stuff home that the guy working the sushi bar gives her. Of course, Thais are too polite to say "no thanks, I don't like this." She just brings it home and, after it sits in the refridgerator for a few days, we throw it away. The problem is, if I have to go to the next big party at the restaurant, I'll have to continue to pretend I like the stuff. Crazy, huh?
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks

OK I will go along with that,

I used to eat in a restaurant in SE Portland that was owned by a lady and her husband that were both professors at a collage in Portland, He did some cooking, she did some cooking and taught Asian cooking in school, but they did have a full time staff that ran the restaurant,, best in Portland, and it was Chinese [canton] and Thai,,both good.
    But I have eaten in a lot of places that served Japanese and Korean, in fact most Korean places also served Japanese. And some Japanese also serve Korean.
    In Korea it is easy to find Japanese food and Korea was under Japan rule for a long time and they are Geo. close together, maybe that has something to do with it.
    And I do not find it strange for a place to have Chinese and Mongolian, The northern Chinese food is quite similar to Mongol and they are neighbors are they not?and the Mongols ran China for a long time. And their food is good.

I like most of the foods except Japanese with all the stinky dried fish smells and Thai food as some of it smells worse than stinky fish.

Seems to me that Thai have a very limited spice rack to choose from and most tastes the same to me, but there is some of both Japan and Thai that I like very well.

Thanks
    I think there are lots of spices, but they put all of them into every dish! I really enjoy messing aroud when cooking and just using one or two of these Thai spices for chicken, for example. stir-fried stuff (vegetables, cashew nuts, ginger, meat, whatever) all done with soy sauce and fish sauce kills me off, you can't feel any taste but the sauce. now even the smell makes my stomach rebel.

I have never had Japanese food anywhere else but Chiang Mai, I was wondering how much it has to do with real Japanese cooking, as all the staff is Thai. but it's ok so I don't mind if it's authentic or not.

Thanks
    well just about anyone can cook authentic if they know how, My youngest son was a fine chef, cook Chinese and Mexican as good as anyone, Just depends on what you learn.

I cook a lot of different stuff, I get the right things and spices, I can do it, we eat some fine Korean right here in Nongua..

Thanks

One thing that gets to me about Thai cooks

Seems to me that they take no pride in what they serve most times.

Like you get some Tom Yam Goung,,the shrimps still have all the shell they were issued at birth, so you have to dig around and tear the heads and shell off and are covered with the stuff, the tomatoes were put in still half green and with the skin on, the soup is full of chunks of Galengal, Lemon grass, Lime leaves and all sorts of things that no human or cow for that matter can eat so more digging around or just leave it.
    No one ever heard of a spice bag to hold all the inedible in one place to be taken out before serving??
    Even if you get what they call TEMPURA the shrimps still have all shell intact, how ya posed to eat it,,tear the breading off and then start to shell em I guess.
    \
    Even in a small roadhouse in the jungles of Mexico they always burn chili's,tomatoes and all that sort of thing and remove the skins, never have I ever ordered anything from caldo to chilis relleno that haven't had the skins removed from the vegs that need it.

Thread Information