PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
In Need Of Help

Thread: In Need Of Help

Thanks

In Need Of Help

IM COMING TO THAILAND IN 2 WEEKS TIME AND I NEED TO KNOW WHAT ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT INJECTIONS TO HAVE???
    I KNOW I NEED YELLOW FEVER AS I CAN NOT ENTER THE COUNTRY WITHOUT 1!!
    BUT WHAT ELSE DO I NEED?? DO I NEED ANTI MALARIA JABS OR TABLETS?? PLEASE HELP I HAVENT GOT LONG.

THE ADVICE BACK HOME IS THAT I NEED EVERYTHING FROM HEP A AND B RIGHT THROUGH TO RABIES, ANTI-MALARIA TO YELLOW FEVER!!

PLEASE HELP ME AND PUT MY MIND TO REST AS THIS MESSING MY PLANS TO HAVING A GOOD TIME IN THAILAND!!!

MANY THANKS

Thanks
    IM COMING TO THAILAND IN 2 WEEKS TIME AND I NEED TO KNOW WHAT ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT INJECTIONS TO HAVE???
    Take a look at "Recommended Vaccinations and Preventive Medication" here -
    http://www.cdc.gov/travel/seasia.htm#vaccines

Thanks
    Let me put it into perspective, for all the trips I have taken to Thailand in the last 4 years, I have not had any shots or oral medication. On one of the trips I had some bad food and since I needed to travel, I took some Imodium, that's it!

I eat the local food and drink bottled water, I also use the bottled water for teeth if I am not staying in a major hotel. I have been to all the major tourist areas and a lot of the minor ones with never a problem, so unless you plan to head to the jungle or areas where there is known malaria or dengue, I wouldn't sweat it.

I believe someone on another thread mentioned Hep A & B which are not bad things to have anyway. Also, nobody has ever asked me for proof of a yellow fever vaccination. The only check that I have ever undergone was during the SARS crisis where they were checking incoming passengers from certain destinations.

One other thing, on the last trip I took advantage of the price differential between the US and Thailand and had a comprehensive medical at Bumrungrad including extensive bloodwork which included checking for the various strains of Hep. So you see, no problems, Thailand is perfectly safe for most tourists, you just have to watch yourself crossing the road.

Thanks
    yellow fever vaccination is compulsory for people holding passports or coming from countries where this disease is a problem (some parts of Africa) in order to protect Thais, NOT so as to protect travellers from yellow fever over here.
    Hep A, typhoid are useful to have BUT if I remember correctly, I was asked to have them a month before travel because they need a few weeks to become effective. they can protect you from contaminated food or water and are highly recommended.
    tetanus is useful to prevent infection in case you cut or hurt yourself badly, for example cut your hand on a coral reef. you can get it in advance or after an accident at a local doctor. it is also recommended back home and people get it at regular intervals, so you are covered if you got it in the past year.
    Hep B is transmitted the same way as HIV, so you won't need it unless you are planning to engage in potentially dangerous activities.
    you can get a series of rabies shots if you happen to get bitten and is considered necessary by the doctor, so you don't need to have it in advance.
    ask a doctor for advice ASAP but don't believe anyone who wants to prescibe you malaria tablets because they are not necessary unless you're heading for the most remote jungle areas for an extended stay.
    make sure you only drink bottled drinking water (water served from jars at a restaurant or home is also ok, so are drinking fountains, Thais also drink safe drinking water only).

Thanks
    I'd just like to add one more thing to the information the others already gave...

Hepatitis A virus is very easily transmitted. The probability of dying from it is very low, BUT there is no direct cure yet, you can only fight the symptoms once you have it. The infection can become chronic if you are unlucky.

For a trip to Thailand HepA immunization is HIGHLY recommended. You can get a single dose vaccine if you tell your doctor you're leaving soon. You will be protected for about a year, after 10-14 days after immunization.

I really don't want to scare you or anything. Just get the immunization as soon as possible, it is very effective and you'll be protected. - And enjoy your stay!!
    life is wonderful!

Thanks
    Hi I've been here for over a year now and before that India, the only injections I had was hep A and typhoid which came as a double whammy and if I remember rightly were free, which is why I had them, the rabies jab is expensive, takes a long time like 3months to get, 1 injection every month, and is painful. For malaria I took only neem tablets and used neem butter instead of DEET, check out http://www.earthworkstrading.com (it might be .co.uk), but it worked a treat, especially the butter mozzies go nowhere near you. But like the others say malaria isn't really a problem unless you go to the jungle

Thread Information