PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Thai sticky rice with coconut and mango
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Thai sticky rice with coconut and mango

Just in case you wanted to know.
    Sticky rice kow nieo ,should be rinsed and covered with cold waterand allowed to absorb the water overnight at room temp. NOT A FREEZING ROOM
    Drain off the excess water the next day. use the traditional cone shaped basket or in a covered cheesecloth lined pan ,steam for about 15 minutes
    ( until rice is cooked through ,no hard part remains). transfer hot rice to a bowl and mix in coconut cream mixed with sugar. Allow to cool .
    TO serve arrange rice on a decorative plate ( nice to have a nice banana leaf on the plate) pour over rice coconut cream and sugar mixture. ( adjust sweetness at this time) Have some toasted sesame seeds available to sprinkle over rice. Slice some NICE ripe mango and decorate rice with mango slices.
    ข้าวเหนียว (เข้าวเจ้า or ข้าวจ้าว) sticky rice ,nonglutinous,sweet rice
    ไอน้ำ steam
    เม็ดงา sesame seed

Thanks
    My girlfriend tried to cook sticky rice the other day, we soaked it all night rinsed it and stuff then steamed it in the morning, we must have steamed it for about an hour but it still didn't cook. We only tried to cook a little bit, does the amount make a difference do you think? The more rice there is then the better it holds the heat maybe and then steams itself?

Thanks
    We call kao nieow moon, thanks rcalaimo for telling us how to moon (mix coconut milk with cooked sticky rice) sticky rice. I’d like to add some tips for this dessert, the quality of these ingredients is important: the good sticky rice is called ข้าวเหนียวเขี้ยวงู (kao nieow kieow ngoo) from the north (I was suggested that the one from ChiangRai is the best). To dissolve palm sugar and salt in the coconut milk, we use milk wrung out of fresh coconut flesh for good flavor, palm sugar (from Phetchaburi province) tastes better than granulated sugar.

Toppings to eat with sticky rice: mongo, jack-fruit, custard, sweetened shrimp, sweetened dried fish, sweetened coconut, and durian in sweetened coconut milk.

Some kinds of sticky rice don’t need to soak it overnight, the good one is about 5 hours, it’s cooked through in less than an hour. For old rice, it will take longer time.

Thanks
    Mel, so how do you know whichข้าวเหนียวเขี้ยวงู is which?

Also, do you know the process to make palm sugar?

Thanks
    Mel, so how do you know which ข้าวเหนียวเขี้ยวงู is which?
    I really don’t know which one is ข้าวเหนียวเขี้ยวงู if I don’t see the label or ask the vendors, all I know it must be long grain white rice, aromatic and a tapering shape.

Also, do you know the process to make palm sugar?
    I had tried to recall my memory when I saw my relatives made palm sugar very long time ago. They simmered the palm juice (น้ำตาลสด) until becoming a thick sauce then let it cool down in any forms you like. They used old style burner with firewood, not a gas stove. No adding any water or ingredients while simmering palm juice.

Palm sugar or น้ำตาลโตนด (in any forms, as called น้ำตาลปึก, น้ำตาลปิ๊ป, น้ำตาลแว่น, etc.), it’s made from palm juice of the ต้นตาลโตนด - dton dtaan dtahnot (Palmyra palm). Palm sugar from Phetchaburi province is very famous due to the good quality of palm juice and special technique in simmering, “a secret one” and I really don’t know that technique.

Thanks
    Thank you Mel for digging deep into your memory for the "SECRET"

I guess it is similar to getting sugar from อ้อย

Thanks
    MmMmM this is one of my thai desserts to eat

making me hungry right now in fact...

Thanks

sad

How to make a topping bit? Nam kra ti. I think has to thicken it with flour. But what type of flour? And what can be used in substitue if we can not find asian shop around? Thank you kha.
    PS: is that the same flour we put on Hor Mok (coconut milk) topping?

Thanks
    Sticky Rice and mango, was my most regular breakfast, in Thailand, when I told my girlfriend, that's what I liked most.
    It also helped, that her uncle had many mangoes trees growing in his back yard.

Thanks
    If you like sticky rice but don't want to cook often you can cook alot and put it in the freezer and reheat in microwave as needed make sure wrap the rice with aluminum foil 2 times to prevent freezer burn and the the size is small enough to eat just for one meal, my still in refrig for 3 months and still good .

Thread Information