PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Hot The Great Essay Challenge!
Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast
    Thanks

The Great Essay Challenge!

I would like to offer up a challenge to all of us beginning Thai students. To learn it, we have to use it.

I have been so impressed with Mskedi's essays...and reclaimo sharing from his book...and I'm always impressed with mikenz66 who knows more than he thinks he does... and javanoob, and jaibaan, and countless others who are here all the time trying to make sense of this beautiful language.

Well, I have a challenge from which we can all learn.

I would like to see everyone post their beginning essays, much like Mskedi. Try out those language tools you've been sharpening. Stretch.

Not only will you learn in writing your own essay, but you'll learn from others as you try and read theirs (and hopefully the wonderful regulars can help correct!) Plus, we'll all learn a little bit more about each other.

So, what do you say.... are you up for the challenge?

Thanks
    OK, I'll try to write something. Just a few sentences at a time about me and my recent trip.

My intention will be to use the level of conversational language that I know, rather than looking up fancy ways of saying it, since I want to reinforce developing enough skill to have basic conversations. After the experience I've had and the discussions we've had here over the last few days I think it is important to try to build up the skill to create sentences without looking up too much.

It would also be helpful if people would ask questions about the essays in Thai. But for someone at my level they would have to be very simple questions, along the lines of "Was it hot?"
    ไมค์

Thanks
    Here's my quick essay... it's rather colloquial, and I'm too lazy to use ครับ, so take it as is:

ผมชื่อริกเิกอร์ ผมเป็นลูกครึ่ง ข้างในเป็นคนไทย ข้างนอกเป็นฝรั่ง ผมรักภาษาไทยมากๆ ผมเคยไปเมืองไทยเพียงแค่สองครั้งเอง ผมไปเมืองไทยครั้งแรก วันที่ ๓ เดือน กรกฎาคม ปี พ.ศ.๒๕๔๕ ครั้งนั้นผมอยู่นานเกือบสองปี กลับอเมริกาวันที่ ๑๘ เดือนพฤษภาคม พ.ศ.๒๕๔๗ แล้วหลังจากนั้นผมกลับไปเมืองไทยอีกครั้งหนึ่ง เมื่อปีที่แล้ว อยู่ตั้งแต่ปลายเดือนมีนา จนถึงปลายเดือนกรกฎา อยู่เกือบสี่เดือน ผมคิดถึงเมืองไทยบ่อยๆ โดยเฉพาะอย่างยิ่งคิดถึงอาหารไทย กับร้านหนังสือไทย ตอนผมอยู่เมืองไทยปีที่แล้วผมซื้อหนังสือเยอะมา กเลย ใช้เงินประมาณสองหมื่นบาท พอดีผมไปถึงเมืองไทยช่วงสัปดาห์หนังสือแห่งชาติ ผมเดินทั่วศูนย์สิริกิติ์ (ที่จัดงานสัปดาห์หนังสือ) สนุกมาก ซื้อทั้งหนังสือเก่าหายาก กับหนังสือใหม่เอี่ยมเพิ่งพิมพ์เป็นครั้งแรก ผมซื้อทั้งพจนานุกรม นวนิยายและเรื่องสั้น วรรณกรรมแปล (อย่างเช่น รหัสลับดาวินชี ของ แดน บราวน์) หนังสือแบบเรียนภาษาไทย ฯลฯ นักเขียนไทยที่ผมชอบมากบางคนก็มี วินทร์ เลียววาริณ, ปราบดา หยุ่น, ชาติ กอบจิตติ, และ ม.ร.ว.คึกฤทธิ์ ปราโมช

แค่นี้ก่อนแล้วกัน เขียนอะไรต่อดียังนึกไม่ออก

Thanks
    This sounds like a great idea! And I agree with mikenz66 that we should try to ask each other questions and really expand our comprehension as well as our writing skills.

At the moment Rikker is expanding my comprehension a bit too much -- I need my dictionary. But that's exactly what I need to be doing. I think this is going to be great for all of us. I'll try to get a composition up by tomorrow.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikker
    Here's my quick essay... it's rather colloquial, and I'm too lazy to use ครับ, so take it as is:
    I got scolded a long time ago, writing a short story and including ครับ in places that were not dialog. In writing, its not lazy to leave it out!

Good start. I'll try to think of something to write about too. Good idea!

Thanks
    Wow, Rikker, thanks for sharing the essay! I always consider you one of the 'experts' so thanks for sharing an essay. While it might not have been a big challenge for you, I know I certainly enjoyed reading it!

It's funny, I've never called you ริกเิกอร์. In my head I've always pronounced your name ไรกเกอร์ , so see I've learned something new!

I like your definition of ลูกครึ่ง .... I guess that makes me one, too! (except for the gets angry and has to make a big fuss about it part of me)

And maybe I missed it, but.... เวลาคุณอยู่ที่เมืองไทยพักอยู่ที่ไหน

Thanks
    Mikenz66:
    My intention will be to use the level of conversational language that I know
    Absolutely! That's all any of us can do. Get comfortable writing what we know to say (and vice versa)

Thanks
    All right... my vocabulary is limited, but here's a
    (very) little bit about food.

ฉันชื่อเมฃฃี่ ฉันชอบอาหารไทยมากๆ ไม่ชอบอาหารฝรั่ง เพราะว่าอาหารฝรังจืดชืด ชอบอาหารเผ็ด ชอบมังคุด กับ ลำใย แต่ ไม่ชอบทุเรียน กับ ขนุน คิดว่าบะหมีแห้งเจอร่อยมาก ฉันเป็นคนกินเจ

Thanks
    กิน เอ บี ซี ด้วยไหม

Thanks
    Okay... here is my attempt at an essay. It is woefully lacking in correct grammar -- written like a true English speaker. Please help fix it up, if you can...

สวัสดีค่ะ ฉันชื่อไพลิน ฉันมาจากสหรัฐอาเมริกา แต่ฉันเคยอยู่ที่เมืองไทยด้วย
    ฉันไปเมืองไทยครั้งแรกเมือสิบเจ็ดปีแล้ว ฉันเป็นนักเรียนการแลกเปลี่ยน ฉันเรียนมัธยม ๕ ที่โรงเรียนไทยในจังหวัดตรัง ฉันอยู่กับครอบครัวคนไืืทยใจดีมาก
    เวลาฉันต้องกลับอาเมริกาฉันเศ้ราใจ ฉันตัดสินใจว่าฉันต่องกลับเมืองไทยบ่อยๆ
    เมือ๙ปีก่อนเรียนปริญญาโทจบแล้ว และฉันไปอยู่ที่เมืองไทยอิก ฉันอยู่ที่กรุงเทพฯสองปี
    ฉันสอนภาษาอังฤษ
    เดี๋ยวนี้ฉันทำงานที่มหาวิืทยาลัยในอาเมริกา แต่ฉันไปเที่ยวเมืองไทยทุกปี
    ฉันคิดถึงเมืองไทยมากนะ

Thread Information