PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
PLS help- pad see iew recipe needed
    Thanks

PLS help- pad see iew recipe needed

PLS PLS PLS can someone tell me the recipe for pad see iew.
    I have found many recipes on the internet, but I need a vegetarian version with tofu. I eat this at my Thai restaurant, but all the versions that I find on the internet just do not taste like that when I make it.
    These are the ingredients I have bought:

fish sauce
    sesame oil
    oyster sauce
    dark sweet soy sauce
    palm sugar
    broccoli
    bean shoots
    wide rice noodles

Every recipe that I follow only makes the noodles come out dry, I add water but the flavours are just not right!
    Can somebody please tell me a good recipe for this?? I will luv you forever!!

Thanks
    The good pad see iew must be dry, not greasy, definitely no water adding . If this dish is pure vegetarian, fish sauce is not allowed you must use light soy sauce (see iew kao) instead. No sesame oil, no oyster sauce, no bean shoots, we use vegetable oil or olive oil, black sweet soy sauce (see iew waan) is a must. White sugar is replaced palm sugar. If the egg and garlic are ok with you, they will make the taste better.

Saute chopped garlic in the hot oil, add sliced tofu (deep fried tofu or a soft one). Put the egg and scramble it in the pan, add the large strip rice noodle, keep stirring and seasoning them with black sweet soy sauce, light soy sauce and white sugar, then add Chinese broccoli, stir until they all cooked, then sprinkle with ground white pepper.

Thanks
    Go to video cooking above by Richard look under 19 noodle with pork you will actual how it is done accept you dont put gravy in pud sie iew.

Thanks

talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mel
    The good pad see iew must be dry, not greasy, definitely no water adding . If this dish is pure vegetarian, fish sauce is not allowed you must use light soy sauce (see iew kao) instead. No sesame oil, no oyster sauce, no bean shoots, we use vegetable oil or olive oil, black sweet soy sauce (see iew waan) is a must. White sugar is replaced palm sugar. If the egg and garlic are ok with you, they will make the taste better.

Saute chopped garlic in the hot oil, add sliced tofu (deep fried tofu or a soft one). Put the egg and scramble it in the pan, add the large strip rice noodle, keep stirring and seasoning them with black sweet soy sauce, light soy sauce and white sugar, then add Chinese broccoli, stir until they all cooked, then sprinkle with ground white pepper.
    Thank you very much for your help. I have all those ingredients at home, I bought from my asian grocer in melbourne. You are right, it shouldn't have fish and oyster sauce if vegetarian. I will put egg in it. I didn't put garlic, but I will now. Someone told me to put vinegar in it too. Is this true? I will make your version next. Can't wait. Thank-you so much.

Thanks
    OOps I almost forgot, another Thai friend told me to use black bean sauce in this dish. But you think I shouldn't right?? Also, are you saying to use white sugar not palm sugar? I thought the more exotic the ingredients the better, but sounds like simple is better. Thanks again!!!!

Thanks
    You're welcome .

Oyster is ok for vegetarian.

Vinegar is one of the condiments we add in all kinds of noodles. You should taste your cooking how it comes out before adding vinegar, more white sugar, light soy sauce or ground dried chilli pepper.

Black bean sauce is for adding in the gravy of Lard Nah. We don't use it for the original Pad See Iew. Anyway, the recipe is a guideline, we like to develop our personal taste, you may try and please tell me how the taste is like compares with the original one.

Normally we use palm sugar for cooking Thai desserts, but some main dishes use palm sugar for better flavor: แกงส้ม (gaeng som) - a sour curry (sour from tamarind, no coconut milk, lots of vegetables and fresh water fish)

Enjoy..

Thanks

Oyster is ok for vegetarian.

Vinegar is one of the condiments we add in all kinds of noodles. You should taste your cooking how it comes out before adding vinegar, more white sugar, light soy sauce or ground dried chilli pepper.

Ok, I understand now. One thing I am confused about is how much of each ingredient I should use. When they chefs at my fave restaurant put the noodles on the plate, there is often some liquid at the bottom of the plate. Now I realise that it is light soy sauce! That's why the other day I added water!! I used dark soy sauce and sweet dark soy and it was really thick and absorbed quickly during cooking, I panicked and added water to make it more moist. So now I will try without all the fancy ingredients like fish sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, palm sugar etc.

Is light soy sauce salty? Sorry to keep bothering you :(
    I cannot wait to cook this on weekend!![/

Thanks
    Not bothering at all , Im glad to answer your questions, its good time to recall my memory how to cook this dish.

How much of each ingredient I should use

Normally, we don't measure the ingredients exactly, the amount of each ingredient can deviate depending upon your personal taste. Taste it while cooking, you will know how much more of what you want to add.

2-3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil or Olive Oil
    1 teaspoon Chopped garlic
    1-2 cups Large strip rice noodle
    1 cup Sliced tofu
    1 or 2 Eggs
    1 tablespoon Black sweet soy sauce
    1 tablespoon Light soy sauce it is salty
    1/2 tablespoon White sugar
    1 cup Chinese broccoli
    1 teaspoon Ground white pepper

Thanks

talking

Thanks again for your reply. I have all the ingredients at home except for the noodles, my asian grocery store is closed weekends (they are the only place that have them fresh and imported from thailand). I also looked at the video on this site of someone making this recipe - they added kale leaves but i have never heard of these before. I might leave them out though. Can't wait!

Thread Information