PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
a small goldfish question...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

a small goldfish question...

When I was in Thailand, I was impressed by the trick people use to avoid huge swarms of mosquitoes around their homes: many households have a tank with goldfish where the mosquitoes lay their eggs...
    We have a huge tank (about 1000l) where we collect rain water, and today we bought some goldfish to reduce the mosquitoe population around the house. My only concern is that the water might not have a high enough oxygen content for the fish. At the moment the water is quite turbid. Is there any other possibility to rise the oxygen content than to establish an oxygen pump?
    Do any of you have tips or recommendations for me?
    life is wonderful!

Thanks
    I have 21 1500 liter thai water jars that we catch rainwater in to use for house sanitary water, and by keeping lids on the jars we have no mossies.
    But if you are using the tank to attract mossies, then the fish the family use are very very small fish that just eat the larve and I think are so small and being surface feeders get what oxy they need that way.

Thanks
    Unfortunately there is no easy solution to cover the tank, as it is quite wide. Apart from that we use it daily and don't really want it covered.
    The goldfish we bought are about 5cm long, the smallest ones available that survive the swiss weather.

Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch
    But if you are using the tank to attract mossies, then the fish the family use are very very small fish that just eat the larve and I think are so small and being surface feeders get what oxy they need that way.
    ...what is your idea of very very small fish?

any other ideas, anyone?
    life is wonderful!

Thanks
    not much meat on em and about 1 cm long, in a small jar in the yards and even along the sidewalks down in town.

Thanks
    I have 21 1500 liter thai water jars that we catch rainwater in to use for house sanitary water...
    You have a capacity for 30,000 + litres! Wow, does it last very long into the dryer seasons? I love talking about the eco stuff with you cause you really know it well! Is that 21 jars overkill or is that about what you need and use? Not that I worry about waste when we talk about rainwater, just curious if you have more than others.

Thanks

OK, Well to get into reasons,

We have a screwey water strata out where we live, I drilled down 160 meters and never hit anything but clay and no water.
    We as everyone else close has a shallow 4 meters max well and everyone out here also has tiles set into the ground about 4 meters for dry wells and septic/cess pools, below that is a sand layer on top of a clay layer, so everything that is waste water goes to the clay and runs in the wells and that water is what is pumped to use, it is turbid and also stinks so your T shirts get brown and stink when you wear em and the shower also makes you stink.
    PDA has an office in Khon Kaen that will build you a ferro cement tank that is 2 meters dia. and holds 11k liters, I needed 3 so I contacted them and they will only come with their equip and crews for 5 tanks at 15K baht each. and no one else here in the area would take a tank or 2, so I went with jars at 400 baht each.
    I had it figured for 6 months of water with our regular usage recorded and it did last 6 months and then it was good for a couple of years and then the drought came on and I have had to buy 12K or so liters each of the last 2 years but this year just when we ordered water the mango rains came so we are full again and should be fine this year.
    I built first flush valves to dump the first water that comes off the roof with the dust and bird doo so it mostly doesn't go into the tanks.
    I hope that helps.

Thanks
    Flush valves was a very wise move I would have never thought of that! Very cool stuff. Are the five tanks that PDA would work on probably a more reasonable amount? I mean if you were cutting it close and needing to order in a little extra the past two years maybe they have a closer estimate with the 55,000 liters?

Still though 75,000 baht is quite outrageous! That could do alot of work around the home itself. Maybe if the estimate was closer to 40-45,000 it would be a decent deal worth considering. I wonder what the actual cost is on the 11,000 liter capacity tanks are? I'm sure at your age you don't really want to start working with cement, but do any neighbors have what they offer? If so how is the workmanship on their cement, could they be worth the 75k if they are a 20 years system?

Thanks

Yes, their tanks are very nice and they do a good job.

They are iron reinforced ferro cement and at 15K each is not a bad price and I would have went for it but with space limitations that we have, I just didn't need them or have the slab space for them, as you can see in my fotki pics, the slab I poured is 8in thick and is just barely large enough for the jars I have on it, and the tanks would have been so heavy when full that I would only had room for 3 on the slab to spread the weight out enough to keep the slab plumb. I could have paid for 5 and just had them build 3, but I also thought that I could get the capacity I needed with the jars and they will last a long time setting on good level, smooth concrete slab. Plus the money stayed in my area, I like that, I never buy in Phetchabun what I can get at our village mkt either. so why take Phetch money to Khon Kaen.
    Cement work is nothing to me as that was my first job in construction and have worked some very large concrete jobs since.

Yes if you had the room for the tanks and were using them for house water, we never drink it, but Thai do but I don't care for bird guano, dead lizards and snails in my coffee, it would be a wise investment.
    I lived at sea and on cruising sailboats and in travel trlrs. so much that saving water [not wasting] is natural for me, we have 2 showers, auto front loader whirlpool washer, 2 toilets, 3 water heaters because we have one at the kitchen sink so the dishes are washed farang style and not swished in cold water and put away, so we do use some water there too. But we do use what we want and never really skimp, but with 2 women in the house I think we do damn good on saving water.

Thanks
    with 2 women in the house I think we do damn good on saving water.
    HAHA!!!!! I hear that! When I was single my brother and a few other friends all rented a very large apartment in a downtown building we had 6 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Parties nearly every night for a year bathroom was in constant use during the evenings. Then in the mornings there were 5 guys all waiting in lines for the shower use. One of the utilities I paid with my paycheck was water. I think the largest water bill I had was $30 during that time, now I am very lucky to get one for less than $50. The only difference? Now half my household is female.

Thanks
    I checked our daily usage, or usage over a set period of time with a 1000 liter gravity tank that Sunee had for household water when she built her house and pumped well water up to it, and I would check it at set times and thatway got a figure of dayly average usage, then multiply that by 180 and had what I thought would do us for water storage.
    Americans use on average 200 gals a day, we use 50 total. we do not water lawns and flowers,,they get theirs when it rains..But as you know, Thai average at least 2 showers a day, and we have aircons.

Thread Information