PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Advice needed please!!!
    Thanks

Advice needed please!!!

Hi all,

I would really appreciate your advice. I am currently studing Drama/English Education in Australia. When i finish I want to go and live in Thailand - to both work and learn the language and culture. I travelled around Thailand when I was 18 and fell in love with it dearly.

In terms of learning Thai, would this be best done through a University? Do they offer short/long language courses? Or do they offer an integrated language/culture course? I am particularly interested in living in Chiang Mai. Would love you to share your knowledge with me!

Also - When i was in Thailand i picked up a basic Thai conversational language. I am currently working at a Thai resturant and a Thai guy who works there has offered to help me out in terms of learning the language. What would be the best to start learning? The alphabet? Or speaking language? Also, do you have any tips for automous learning of a language (when i am already so busy)?

Cheers,

Wendy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beetle111
    Also - When i was in Thailand i picked up a basic Thai conversational language. I am currently working at a Thai resturant and a Thai guy who works there has offered to help me out in terms of learning the language. What would be the best to start learning? The alphabet? Or speaking language? Also, do you have any tips for automous learning of a language (when i am already so busy)?

Cheers,

Wendy
    Sawat-dii khrap khun Wendy

Practice with Thai speakers is very good and it was very nice of him to offer. Maybe you could give him some English lessons in exchange - possibly written English if he is already a fluent speaker.

The hot tips for autonomous learning are:
    1, www.learningthai.com - there's heaps of resources on that website.
    2, Benjawan Becker's "Practical Thai Conversation" DVD's and "Improving your Thai pronunciation" CD.
    3, This forum.(Edit: Thai for Beginners).

I've just started learning the alphabet. It's not as hard as I was expecting and it's very helpful for knowing how to pronounce words. There's various approaches to transliteration into the Roman alphabet and it often gets confusing if you can't refer to the Thai spellings to clarify things. Just doing a little bit here and there should get you well on the way to mastering the alphabet.

There are various language and culture courses in Thai universities. Someone in the know will probably answer that query presently.

Thanks
    Thanks alot for your advice! Much appreciated

Thanks
    Mai bpen rai!

Have a search around some existing threads and you should find lots of info about courses. My feeling is a university course would look best on your CV and would probably be the highest quality. So, if you've got the Baht to spend, that's the way to go.

Chok-dii khrap

Thanks
    this might sound stupid but maybe obtaining thai films that have english subtitles to them or fitting thai television can help - like seeing how everyday language conversation is used amongst people etc.... i found that ong-bak, ban rajan and tom yam goong were preety well subtitled.

Thread Information