PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Health insurance for farangs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Health insurance for farangs

Our family is moving to Phuket and we are investigating health insurance policies. Can anyone offer advice about this? We are moving from the USA and our current health plan requires us to use in-network doctors to get full coverage of our medical expenses. Is this also the case in Thailand? We started to investigate some companies, but so far I haven't seen anything about using approved doctors or facilities.

Thanks!

Thanks
    It does appear to be that way here to mostly, but they have different type policys where you can pay more and then you can use any doctor you choose, at least thats the way it is for a friend of ours that has the expensice policy.
    I am not sure all the facts as I am to old and they will not sell me a policy anyway, and with the cost of medical treatment here, I don't worry about it as it isn't that expensive.

Thanks
    Unless you have some sort of terminal disease, you should be able to pay cash for any healthcare needs in Thailand. I don't know about Phuket, but I usually wait and have everything I need done when we get to Kalasin. I have never paid more than 10,000 THB (~$250) for anything. I wouldn't dream of getting medical treatment in the States, unless it was some sort of dire emergency. It's way too expensive, especially for the treatment you receive. In Thailand they will treat you like royalty for 10,000.
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks
    That's why once a year I get a full medical at Bumrungrad, fast, efficient, and all inclusive. At my last one, there was some questions about the result of the stress test. Followed up later with a cardiologist, at no extra cost. No problems, they were just being careful !

A neighbour here in the US had a series of blood tests which were nowhere near as inclusive as the ones I had, at nearly 4 times the cost of my complete medical.

Thanks
    Thanks very much for all your input - I guess I really need to adjust my thinking. Here in the US, my biggest fear is getting sick and being wiped out financially because I don't have enough coverage. It's hard to let go of that fear and just trust that things will work out fine!

Thanks
    Followed up later with a cardiologist, at no extra cost. No problems, they were just being careful !
    Ain't that a switch. My wife had a miscarriage and I had to take her to the local emergency room here in Miami. We were getting bills from all sorts of consulting doctors I never saw. I guess they must have been concerned too. (LOL) With one night in the hospital, our bill came to over $3000, and that's because we were paying cash. If we had insurance they would have charged nearly $7000. The whole system is corrupt to the core. In Thailand I could have had a triple bypass for 120,000 THB and had a private room to boot.

Thanks
    Visionchaser45
    Your comments were very refreshing. I have enjoyed reading your comments on other things as well. Your analysis and observations are usually short and to the point, with good objectivity.

Thanks

Yea, some weird stuff happens

If we had insurance they would have charged nearly $7000. The whole system is corrupt to the core.
    But also, I had insurance thru the union [IUOE] and my wife at that time had a tubular pregnancy, had to go into the hospital and have some stuff done, which included her tubes tied, the Hospital sent me a bill and a copy to the ins. co.
    My bill was for $8,000 as was the one to the union, and the union would only pay $2,400 and sent me a letter that I owed nothing and the hospital settled for the union payment.
    So there is a terrific mark up somewhere along the line.

Thanks
    Here's an interesting read on Thai health insurance.
    http://www.ajarn.com/Banter/health%2...%20options.htm

Thanks
    Nice story. All in all, the guy would have ended up paying less than $3000 cash for the operation without insurance, which is pretty sweet. At $200 per year for the insurance, that would take nearly 15 years of insurance premiums. It's not a bad deal really, if you are staying in Thailand for over 15 years.

Thread Information